The Beatitudes Part 1, Matthew 5:1-12
1. What stood out to you in the message?
2. How is the Sermon on the Mount different from a simple code of morals/ethics?
3. As a follower of Jesus, do The Beatitudes ever sound too daunting? How should the work of the Holy Spirit and God’s Word shape your thinking and behavior?
4. Have you ever recognized that Jesus is looking for pure thoughts, attitudes, and motives more than external shows of obedience? Those internal pure thoughts, attitudes, and motives lead to obedience to God’s will. How does this change what you value in your faith journey?
5. We cannot know a person’s heart, but based upon The Beatitudes are there indications that someone is or is not a follower of Jesus?
6. How well are your thoughts, attitudes, and motives aligned with God?
7. In what areas of your life are your struggling to fulfill The Beatitudes? What changes need to take place in order to better live in The Beatitudes through the Holy Spirit?
Scripture Passages: John 18-21, Acts 1